Subject: Bring back any memories?

All the joke you ever need... Come in and have a giggle.
ADF-Dizz
ADF Member
ADF Member

Subject: Bring back any memories?

Post by ADF-Dizz »

Young guys - this is how it was.........................................

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --I delivered a newspaper, seven days a week and had to get up at 6AM every morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.
>
Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
7. Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10. Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with levers
12. Blue flashbulb
13. Cork popguns
14. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You are still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends....I just did!!!!!!!!!

Beer
X-Member
X-Member

Post by Beer »

Don't tell your age?? ok then wow im old. i could go on for hours but im going to bed early lol

FDGStitch
ADF Selected VIP
ADF Selected VIP

Post by FDGStitch »

Oh crap ... 8....

MADOZ MADOZ
Chris aka FDG Stitch was a top bloke and we gamed for many years with him.. so sad to hear the news today (23-09-2018), only a couple years older than me..(ADF-Cheech) LIFE is SHORT...May Stitch rest in peace, condolences to his family and his friends here and beyond ADFTEAM.

ADF-CaptCC
Im a man of the forums!!

Post by ADF-CaptCC »

[smilie=azcrying[1].gif]
If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

There is no Question Dizz, I'm Right up there with you man...

Cost of a new home, $16,500.00

I remember 10 cent coke's

5 cent Hostys chip's

5 cent paper stamp tickets for the Bus , (for kids)

We had Brick roads, ( they put concrete over them, after I went to grade 6)

A Douglas DC-3 were used at the Airlines, (happily I might add)

We still used two Horse's to pull the feed wagon around the paddock.

Feds , were known as G-Men....Cops were 5-'O'

We didnt have calculators, we had slide rulers

5 cent Stamps, could still be used to mail a Letter .. not 50 cents or $1.50

Cars had Generator's not a Alternator's

Petrol was 26 cents a Gallon, price didnt change for years

Milk was 49 cents a Gallon

You bought eggs for 55 cents a dozen

In the States, Vice President was Richard M. Nixon

[smilie=jpshakehead.sml[1].gif]

[smilie=laugh[2].gif] [smilie=laugh[2].gif]
Lock ...and... Load ... Rock ...and... Roll ... SEMPER FI
Loyalty, above all, Except Honour

ADF-Dizz
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Dizz »

and ...........
we had to go down to the dairy to get milk in a billy - that was just before the milkman used to come around(in horse and cart) and deliver milk in bottles (now there was an innovation) and it was left at your front gate - and you got to it quickly otherwise the Crows would pick holes in the lids.

and............ the wizz bang new refrigerator was - wait for it - basically a big metal box with a container for a ICE Block in it. Delivered by an "Iceman"

those were the days m88y - got it easy these days......... [smilie=laugh[2].gif] [smilie=laugh[2].gif]

dveight69
ADF Selected VIP
ADF Selected VIP

Post by dveight69 »

I got most of em [smilie=beerchug[1].gif]
In Port Melb our Milky had horse and kart only stopped about 10 years ago,his daughter was the last horse and kart milky left when she stopped,,and the washing machine wringer still got a scar on my arm from that [smilie=azcrying[1].gif]