Vista

Windows Support
ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Vista

Post by ADF-Deano »

ok i have vista installed as a duel boot......so i can have a little squiz......

does look good i'll give it that.....

check out the Server Monitor, CPU Monitor, Network Monitor, Digital Clock

ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

Looks nice an all but I find it hard to get excited about Vista. A lot of what they achieved is nothing more then ant-dissatisifier. They are visual mods which make us go "Oooo" for a short period of time before we get cheesed off with it and go back to the classic look :)

However, they appear to be doing the right thing with their enhanced Networking. 'Bout time they got that right and hooorah for IPV6

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

i think your right there nobbies......they have actually got some similar things to ubuntu.....like when you try to change a setting you have to enter the admin password....you can probably turn that off though........not enough software supported yet anyway......but AA seem to run on it all right.....

but i guess we have no choice eventually we'll all have to upgrade i suppose....

Did you notice the green bar on the memory monitor nobbies  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]

[smilie=laugh[2].gif]

ADF-Sniper
Admin - Founder
Admin - Founder

Post by ADF-Sniper »

I only like two things about it ATM. I like there 3D Alt+Tab, And when you put the mouse over the programs on the start bar.I reckon my boss should get me a copy so I can test it for bugs etc . [smilie=51.gif]

Roodog
ADF Selected VIP
ADF Selected VIP

Post by Roodog »

ADF-Deano wrote:i think your right there nobbies......they have actually got some similar things to ubuntu.....like when you try to change a setting you have to enter the admin password....you can probably turn that off though........not enough software supported yet anyway......but AA seem to run on it all right.....

but i guess we have no choice eventually we'll all have to upgrade i suppose....

Did you notice the green bar on the memory monitor nobbies  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]

[smilie=laugh[2].gif]
Just so you know Vista generates a PB kick for a gamehook I think can not remember.Not sure PB supports it yet.

Cheers
Roo  [smilie=flicks.gif]

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

it seem to work alright for me......but i'm using the final version this time....i did not play that long either.

ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

ADF-Deano wrote:i think your right there nobbies......they have actually got some similar things to ubuntu.....like when you try to change a setting you have to enter the admin password....you can probably turn that off though........not enough software supported yet anyway......but AA seem to run on it all right.....

[smilie=laugh[2].gif]
Arrr. I heard that as you open applications, particularily the Media ones, you better have a very LONG green bar :)

To be honest, and I may just be an optimist here, I believe that this year and next is going to be the battle of the Linux V Vista. Not enough time to go up against XP back then, but this time, Vista has little to offer that you can't get with a Linux dis like Ubuntu or more tailored ones like Mandriva or FC3. Linux will make HUGE headways in 2007. GO YOU LITTLE BEAUTY

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

hooah......

the biggest problem they will face is somehow forcing people to switch over to open source type apps like the linux distros use....its hard enough converting someone from IE  [smilie=jpshakehead.sml[1].gif]

ADF-Sniper
Admin - Founder
Admin - Founder

Post by ADF-Sniper »

Who's going to write "good" games for linux? I must admit linux have bugs, and come on their paint programs suck!

As a server, I would rely on it, but where's the support and the easy installs. I would pay for user friendly, then waste the time and stress trying to figure something out.

Linux went wrong by creating too many different distributions.

This is a everyday home users opinion. I'm dead sure mum wouldn't use it.
Evolution is just so unlikely to produce complex life forms.

ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

Well there is hope on the horizon. Some of the larger corps. are already hooked into Linux. I mean, you just can't get away from it. Your probably using some form of Linux in your router already. Hell, even some printers carry a Linux Dis :)

The good news is that Linux is gaining ground all the time within the desktop market and, in my opinion, so widely used as a Server OS that it's more common place now than not.

Mark ye my words, this and next year are Linux Years :)

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

I got to admit i love Linux but it's not quite ready for your average user....its just to hard.......

Code: Select all

dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.17.11_custom.1.0_i386.deb 
ahhhh those where the days...... [smilie=jpshakehead.sml[1].gif]

but hopefully it's just around the corner  [smilie=halm[1].gif]  [smilie=halm[1].gif]  [smilie=halm[1].gif]

ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

For sure Sniper, for the average pleb Linux is too hard. And I know where your coming from with regards to having to pay for the easy out, I've seen your 30 second attention span when it comes to dealing with Linux issues, just too complicated. This doesn't work - format it :)

However, perhaps you do not remember just 18 months ago when the GUI install version of Linux was nothing much better than a text menu and, given that today it's a case of spinning up the CD and you have a completely running version of Mandriva to have control of your Camera Media requirements. Ubuntu has a full OEM version and you will no doubt be seeing more of that becoming available at your local store.

Linux never went wrong. Where did you get that information? Was it not you who told me of all the programs that Vista WOULD NOT run? Seems to me that Microsoft continue to head backwards while Linux moves forward.

Paint - ppppffffftttt - install Gimp and learn baby..........

ADF-blocka
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-blocka »

What version of Vista did you get, Im thinking of getting home premium

ADF-Liberal
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Liberal »

Im still happy using Windows 3.1 and DOS :D

Merv
I just cant get away from this forum!

Post by Merv »

<-----is waiting for deano to buy him a copy of Vista..HINT HINT!

ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

I'm a member of MSDN but I'm still not going to give Sniper a copy :)

ADF-BUNGY
Im a man of the forums!!

Post by ADF-BUNGY »

It all looks very nice, but most of my work apps won't run on it, yet.
They are still working on the patches and drivers or something.

I will probably wait until the end of the year after they have SP1 out.
I run XP pro at the moment so I will probably upgrade to Vista Ultimate or what ever the top version is.

None of my work apps are written for linux that I know of.
Can't even get a Mac, as they don't have Mac versions for a lot of my work apps either.
So I am stuck in Wintel world for now.

ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

Yeah. The IT world isn't going to run out and upgrade to Vista in any hurry what so ever. I read some interesting facts about the deployment of Vista and, according to surveys, Vista will be lucky to account for 10% of the Windows OS sytems by the end of the year (remembering that any new PC's will probably ship with Vista). Some 40 large companies in the US were surveyed and only 2 of the 40% had any plans in place, to upgrade over the next EIGHTEEN months. At the moment Vista is a gimic.  You are certainly wise to wait for, at least, SP1.

Merv

Post by Merv »

i can just see it now....

Nobbies: Whats that sniper, you want to play around with Vista at work?
Sniper: Please...
Nobies: ummm... no.
Sniper: PLEASE!
Nobbies: wait i might be able to let you.....NO!

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

Merv wrote:i can just see it now....

or they could be saying;

Nobbies: isn't merv a noob
Sniper: for sure....but how much of a noob
Nobies: ummmmmm.......the noobiest person i've met
Sniper: arrrrrrrr....i see......but i think he is the nobiest noob, son of a noob with a noob fetish over a noob that I've ever met
Nobbies: mmmmm...I see your point  :wink:

[smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]

Merv

Post by Merv »

ADF-Deano wrote:
Merv wrote:i can just see it now....

or they could be saying;

Nobbies: isn't merv a noob
Sniper: for sure....but how much of a noob
Nobies: ummmmmm.......the noobiest person i've met
Sniper: arrrrrrrr....i see......but i think he is the nobiest noob, son of a noob with a noob fetish over a noob that I've ever met
Nobbies: mmmmm...I see your point  :wink:

[smilie=laugh[2].gif] Â [smilie=laugh[2].gif] Â [smilie=laugh[2].gif] Â [smilie=laugh[2].gif] Â [smilie=laugh[2].gif] Â [smilie=laugh[2].gif]
Or maybe not....GO BACK TO WORK LAZY BUM!

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

Roodog wrote:

[smilie=laugh[2].gif]
Just so you know Vista generates a PB kick for a gamehook I think can not remember.Not sure PB supports it yet.

Cheers
Roo  [smilie=flicks.gif]
yes roodog it can all you have to do is make sure you own the folder that aa is installed in.

e.g.

takeown /f C:\Program Files\America's Army

and then

cacls C:\Program Files\America's Army /G Deano:G

where Deano is you profile name.

ADF-Lefty
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Lefty »

why cant they make a huge multisystem with windows, linux, and Mac os all intergrated into one ther for you have mac and windows for basic users and linux for your advanced therefore making it easier to chose when it comes to an OS you have it all right in front of you
Im /b/LACK

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

ADF-Lefty wrote:why cant they make a huge multisystem with windows, linux, and Mac os all intergrated into one ther for you have mac and windows for basic users and linux for your advanced therefore making it easier to chose when it comes to an OS you have it all right in front of you
they have it's called VMWare

[smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]