Ultimate Windows Tweaks

Windows Support
ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Ultimate Windows Tweaks

Post by ADF-Deano »

Note: As always it is a must to backup the registry…..but this only helps if you know how to restore it from command prompt…..so I recommend creating a full backup (image)…..Some great programs are listed below;

1. Norton Ghost (version 9 I think….there is an issue I think with 10….sniper can probably verify this)
2. Paragon exact image
3. Acronis True Image
4. I think Gibson research’s spin doctor also does imaging.

Customize Logon Box Message

1. In the left hand pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\Winlogon
2. Right click on the white region of Regedit's right hand pane, click New, and then click STRING Value
3. Enter LogonPrompt for the name of the new STRING Value and press Enter. The new value should now appear in Regedit's right-hand column.
4. Right click the new value and choose Modify.
5. Set the Value Data field to the text you want to see in the message, then click OK.

QoS Bandwidth Reserve Setting

By default, Windows XP reserves 20% of the connection bandwidth for QoS traffic. This tweak allows the setting to be altered to a different percentage of connection b

1. In the left hand pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched
2. Right click on the white region of Regedit's right hand pane, click New, and then click DWORD Value
3. Enter NonBestEffortLimit for the name of the new DWORD Value and press Enter. The new value should now appear in Regedit's right-hand column.
4. Right click the new value and choose Modify.
5. Set the Value Data field to whatever percentage you would like it to be set. The default value is 20, then click OK.

Change IE Start page And Window Title

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="http://m4i/"
"Window Title"=" Macro 4"
Clear Page File (virtual memory) at shutdown
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001
Show windows version on the desktop
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"PaintDesktopVersion"=dword:00000001

Add “copy toâ€

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

Here is some more

Explorer Windows At Startup

By default windows will reopen any explorer windows you had open when you shut down.You can speed up boot time by turning this off.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Name: PersistBrowsers
Default Value: 1
New Value: 0

Move My Documents and My Pictures

My Documents is normally located at c:\documents and settings\user name\ you can move it to another drive if you wish using this hack.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sowftware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Name: Personal
Default Value: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
New Value: Where ever you want it located. E.g. D:\My Documents or D:\Bob’s Gay

And My Pictures

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sowftware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Name: My Pictures
Default Value: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures
New Value: Where ever you want it located. E.g. D:\My Pictures or D:\Bob’s Still Gay

Kill Annoying Startups

Ok everyone knows you can use msconfig from a run box to stop programs starting up on boot but they still remain in the list, to remove them permanently try this hack.

Navigate to the following registry keys and delete the relevant entry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Defrag

Hidden Command Line Switch
Go to "Start", "Run" and Type defrag c: -b to defragment the Boot and Application Prefetch information.

Paint (who uses paint anyway)

Image Trails
Instructions - Open an image and hold down Shift then drag the image around to create an image trail.
10x Zoom
Instructions - Open an image and select the magnifying glass icon. Left-Click exactly on the line below the 8x.

Add/Remove

Secret - Hidden Uninstall Options
Instructions - Warning: Proceed at your own risk! Browse to C:\Windows\inf\ and make a backup copy of sysoc.inf. Then open the original file C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf in notepad. Go to "Edit" and select "Replace". In "Find what:" type ,hide and in "Replace with:" type , then select "Replace All", save and close the file. Go to the "Control Panel", "Add/Remove", select "Add/Remove Windows Components". You will now see many more Windows components to uninstall. Do not remove anything with no label or that you do not recognize or fully understand what it does. Doing so can break certain functionality in Windows.

Control Panel

Secret - Hidden Control Panel Extensions
Instructions - Download and install TweakUI, launch, go to "Control Panel" and check any item not selected, then "Apply" and "OK". You will now see the hidden control panel extensions.

Support Tools

Secret - Over 100 Windows XP Support Utilities are on the install CD

Instructions for Pre-SP2 users - If you do not have SP2 installed, put the original Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM Drive, run the D:\Support\Tools\setup.exe file.

Instructions for SP2 users - If you have SP2 installed, Download the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools and install.

Lock Desktop Shortcut

You can lock the Windows 2000 or XP desktop with a click of an icon. Create a shortcut icon on the desktop to run the following command:

rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Rundll32.exe is an application included with Windows that executes functions in dynamic link libraries (DLLs). Most applications (and Windows) use DLLs to share code between multiple applications or multiple modules within a single application. There are lots of other tasks you can accomplish with Rundll32.exe. You can execute these commands from a console or incorporate them into scripts or batch files to help you quickly access certain features in the user interface for configuring the operating system or hardware.

• The following command starts the Add Printer Wizard:
Rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /il
• If you want to add a standard TCP/IP port for printing, use this command:
Rundll32.exe tcpmonui.dll,LocalAddPortUI
• You can easily create new shared folders through the New Share dialog box. Use this command to open it:
Rundll32.exe ntlanui.dll,ShareCreate
• Another function you can access through Ntlanui.dll is the Shared Directories dialog box. Here's how to open it:
Rundll32.exe ntlanui.dll,ShareManage

Enhance Network throughput

Network throughput depends on a variety of factors and as such you never no what could be the bottleneck. One of the things that you can try out is the network redirector reserves.
Open registry editor by going to START-RUN and entering regedit and navigate to key, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]. Once here, click on right pane and added following Dwords. Dwords are in hexadecimal (and value as shown below indicates that of 104, valid values are 0-255). Keep both values same. I think default is 15 or 20.
"MaxCmds"=dword:00000068
"MaxThreads"=dword:00000068

Deano
Last edited by ADF-Deano on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ADF-Shaggs
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Shaggs »

What?

Aussie
X-Member
X-Member

Post by Aussie »

ADF-Shaggs wrote:What?
you Forgot two other word's shaggs i'll correct you
ADF-Shaggs wrote:What? THE F*%$?

NiCkO
X-Member
X-Member

Post by NiCkO »

Yeah........I read all that writing  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]

Cheers NiCkO

ADF-Shaggs
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Shaggs »

Cheers aussie, I'll get you to be my new translator, without the censored  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif]  [smilie=laugh[2].gif] , nice bas rutten saying on your sig m8.

Aussie
X-Member
X-Member

Post by Aussie »

lol hehe Cheers!@ [smilie=laugh[2].gif]

ADF-Cable
Im a man of the forums!!

Post by ADF-Cable »

I like your bits Deano, you ROCK!!!!

Lots of new stuff we didn't know about, but lots of stuff we did know already!!!!

(we= my mum and I)
[marq=left] [font=Comic Sans MS] ADF Rocks!!! [/marq][/font]