WAR THUNDER (Free To Play)

Post here all the games you know, and give us a idea what its like.

Have You Tried War Thunder

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5

ADF-Medic
ADF-Team Admin
ADF-Team Admin

WAR THUNDER (Free To Play)

Post by ADF-Medic »

Gdy all

After being told to try this game by many and now taking a break from EVE Online i decided to try out War Thunder and i must say its pretty dam good what is below is a mix of my dribble and others ive over heard in teamspeak and read around the place over the last week.

# What is it ?

War Thunder is a free to play massively multiplayer online World War II military aviation game. It is available on Steam or you can get it at http://warthunder.com and being developed by http://gaijinent.comand is currently in open beta.

Youtube Link: zolCwSHgUEk

# Gameplay

War Thunder brings many great aspects of competitive online play together in a World War II war simulation that finds the perfect median between simulation and fun gameplay. If the aerial combat portion of this game is any indication then the ground and naval combat that is to come should be awesome.

From the game’s lobby you can switch between factions spend XP to unlock new aircraft train your flight crews and upgrade and customize your planes. XP for each faction (which country’s planes you choose to fly) is earned individually and each plane in that country’s hanger has a flight crew which each earn XP individually as you fly each plane in combat. You can assign your flight crew to new aircraft for a small retraining fee and all XP they have earned and spent will stay with them as they take to the skies in their new plane.

By default you will fly your planes in combat by pointing your mouse in the direction you want to go and using the keyboard to control the plane’s flaps pitch left and right as well as control the view you play in. There is a standard third person view, bombing view, gunners view (for bombers) an in cockpit view and a first person view. Some game modes restrict the viewing options and of course bombing view is only for bombers.

Although this control set up can feel a little odd at first you get used to it pretty quick. I’ve learned to use the default controls using the mouse and keyboard but controllers and flight sticks can be used. It can feel a little bit like a point and click but once you’re diving, rolling, and shooting down enemies you sink more into the actual gameplay and that point and click feeling falls into the background as it becomes all about taking out that next red dot on your minimap while you dodge bullets from behind.

Arcade Mode:
Jump right in and shoot down some enemies mode and as you unlock multiple planes and flight crews you will be able to fly more planes in each battle. If one of your planes goes down in combat within seconds you will be back in the skies continuing to help your team take out enemies and ground objectives in order to achieve victory.

Historical Mode:
Takes War Thunder to the next level with a little more realism mixed in. Players will need to master take offs and landings as you must return to a friendly airstrip in order to reload and repair between runs. Each team must be made up of historical WWII allies and historical maps are used to recreate some memorable battles. Realistic bullet trajectory and gun convergence coupled with the lack of an aim assist require much more skill from the player in order to take down the enemies. For those looking for a more serious gameplay experience. Historical mode will take you into World War II era battles where each mistake you make could be your last.

Full Real:

Will put you into the cockpit of your plane with no other view available. Scratch your WWII war plane simulator itch while flying in combat against lots of other players in War Thunder’s all out attempt to put you in the seat of a WWII fighter pilot.

# Visuals

Large open plains and lakes fold into rolling hills and large mountains which can play a part in your aerial strategy. The planes themselves are still nicely detailed and are visually distinguishable while in combat so a pilot with a sharp eye can tell if he’s going up against a quick and nimble fighter or a heavy hitting enemy who will kick your ass.

# Performance

So far the game runs pretty smooth on my machine settings not cranked up though. No AUS servers but there giving us a SEA server soon apparently. So it was recommended to play on US server the ping for me sits at around 250-300. So far I have been nothing but impressed with the performance of the game for a free to play title.

# Micro Transactions

War Thunder manages to not be MT heavy and really no need to go spending your hard earned cash for anything unless you’ve got your eye on a particular plane or graphic.

The currency you earn by playing the game mixed with XP can unlock the majority of planes in the game although there are a few MT only planes available with each faction. As of right now I don’t get the sense that I’m severely handicapped by not purchasing these planes but I will definitely be keeping a close eye on the power of these purchasable planes as I get further into the game and into higher tiers of planes. There are packs for sale on the official website which will unlock several airplanes across multiple factions instantly and this is good if you dont have the time to put in to earning the XP in game but if you do then you will get them over time by playing. The more you play the more XP you will get.

# Overall

Unless flying World War II era warplanes just isn’t your thing you should just go ahead and start downloading War Thunder now. It is a good game and a competitive experience which is even better when played with ya mates.It is still in open beta and the dev's are working on adding tanks and ships for naval combat and in the end each battle will one day be a massive fight over land, sea and air for dominance so even if you don’t care too much for planes there may be something coming for you soon.

Vote and leave a reply it would be good to here your opinions.
MADOZ

ADF-Dennis
ADF-Recruiting Staff
ADF-Recruiting Staff

Re: WAR THUNDER (Free To Play)

Post by ADF-Dennis »

I Love War Thunder!!!! If You Don't Have It Get It.....Now!!! And If You Already Have It Play It More!! MADOZ Deff Best Played With Friends.... Enjoy People.. Hope To See All Of You In Game.. [smilie=jump_fire[1].gif] [smilie=snajper[1].gif] [smilie=2[4].gif]

Love Dennis - Smokie Smokie