A little something we can all do for Cancer research

Chat about anything.............
ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

A little something we can all do for Cancer research

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

Hi Ppl,

I've never been one for going out of my way for charity etc. Sure, when they come knocking, and it's for a good cause, I don't mind but I rarely get involved. However, there is a little something I have found (Thanks Danoz) which will aid in cancer research.

Anyway, there is a global distributed computing project which is for the work required to the understanding the folding of proteins and how they all work. It's a complicated science to say the least. To the point. I have downloaded a small utility which uses your CPU during the periods of Screen Saving. I have most of my PC's on all the time at home and here at work so I thought "why not" (That's supposed to represent a thought). So, if anyone is interested, it's called folding@home and can be found here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Download the utility, give yourself any name you like (It doesn't check if you are a unique ID or not so be imaginative). It uses a small amount of bandwidth to download each of it's Work Units and they take forever to complete. I have mine running 100% CPU here at work and hardly notice the difference but I wouldn't recommend it at 100% for home users. There is a tab for setting it up to run only when screen saver is active and will also activate the screen saver for you. You can earn points just for the kudos and I have taken the liberty of creating an ADFTeam if you decide to do it. ADFTeam's number is 102644 and is entered into your setup when asked. Another one of those bloody competitions :)

Anyway, if your interested go and have a look. Not everyones cup of tea.

ADF-Sniper
Admin - Founder
Admin - Founder

Post by ADF-Sniper »

140/1000 Frames Completed.
Evolution is just so unlikely to produce complex life forms.

ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Baby »

there is something called BOINC has alot of similar apps. everything from medical research to looking for black holes to looking for little green men but it always runs at 100% slowing down when the cpu is being used for other apps. basically it uses every spare cpu cycle.
Live long and procreate

Image[img]http://www.gametracker.com/player_info/202.

ADF-Yodak
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Yodak »

Sounds like SETI@Home but for cancer research

Archon
X-Member
X-Member

Post by Archon »

yeah ive heard of these things, used to be one about space photos or something crazy like that... anyhow, ud never know what it was really doing.. could be a terrorist program to link up all the computers and hack the pentagon and destroy us all!!!! or not.

I wouldnt waste my system resources.... sounds like a scam...

ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

ADF-Archon wrote:yeah ive heard of these things, used to be one about space photos or something crazy like that... anyhow, ud never know what it was really doing.. could be a terrorist program to link up all the computers and hack the pentagon and destroy us all!!!! or not.

I wouldnt waste my system resources.... sounds like a scam...
A scam :)

Have a look at the web site. For a start it's a difficult process to register a scam domain to a .edu extension since these are primarily reserved for education domains and given that it is one of the world's leading research and teaching institutions it is hardly likely to be a scam. If they wanted to cloud their great achievements and university in a scam they could do much better than something like this. Getting a rogue gunman to go postal would probably be easier. Like I said, it won't suit everyone but it's definitely, IMHO, NOT a scam.

ADF-MadOz
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-MadOz »

Hey Nobbies, great idea here, to help them out with the crap and all, but it's not for me as i hate things running in the background, and i allways have screen saver turned off, so it would never get a chance to run on my pc :(:(

GREAT THOUGHT THOUGH M8!!!!!!!!!

ADF-Nobbie
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Nobbie »

lol - Mad - love th sig mate. A fitting one at that :)

I hear ya with the background thing. I'm convinced I'll be bored with it in a week or 2. There's a points and ranking system. I just can't keep away from anything with "competition" in it's title, lol