Possible solution to ADF server lag

Anything to do with the game America's Army and our America's Army servers.
Tycoon
ADF Selected VIP
ADF Selected VIP

Possible solution to ADF server lag

Post by Tycoon »

Now of course, this is probably a long shot but worth someone with root access control for your server to take a look at.

There are two different types of log files for the Americas Armny server.
Server Status Logs
The server status log file is automatically created when the server starts. You can specify a name for this log file when starting the server with the -log=<logname> parameter. If you don't specify a name, the default name of ucc.log is used. This log file shows the general status of the server, and any troubleshooting information. Keep in mind this log file is not automatically archived, and is erased and recreated every time the server is started. This log file is stored in the armyops/System folder.

General Logs
The general log files are created in the logs directory in the armyops/System folder. To enable these logs, simply type: mkdir logs within the armyops/System directory to create the folder. Every time the server is started, a new log file is created. These log files show detailed data about players, round information and other various events.
Back when I had my own server I noticed that the server status log was not deleted when I "restarted my server" remotely. So, as the server was online for months at a time this file grew to enormous proportions and caused a noticable 'glitching' and slowdown. (The file got as big as 70 megabytes.)

I had read and modify access control to the root directory via FTP so I had to once every two weeks or so upload a blank copy of the file to get rid of the bloated version. It would have been easier to physically turn off the server box but that was in San Diego. Â [smilie=laugh[2].gif]

So, have whatever lacky you have running your server to doublecheck that the "ucc.log" (or whatever he has named it) in the armyops/System directory hasn't become bloated beyond belief.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Whoops... sorry I obviously put this in the wrong section. Can an admin flick it into the Americas Army section please.

Tycoon

ADF-Sniper
Admin - Founder
Admin - Founder

Post by ADF-Sniper »

I have logged a call with our hardware guys and ill see what I can do to reduce the lag on our server.
Evolution is just so unlikely to produce complex life forms.