***!!!HELP!!!***

Operating System help, tips and tricks.
ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

***!!!HELP!!!***

Post by ADF-Baby »

I've just reinstalled vista (about a dozen times [smilie=furax[1].gif]) The think is that every time i install it every things just fine till i try to update. doesn't mater if i install just one or all 42 of them after it reboots i usualy just get a black screen with the mouse pointer on it, the mouse moves around just fine but there are no buttons for me to press. and if it does go into windows proper i get half a dozen different services shut down including but not limited to explorer.exe (it crashes then tries to restart over and over and over) the error reporting thing, super fetch and heaps of others. not always the same ones tho and sometimes i can even open some files.

after i finish this i'm going to try and install my drivers then install the updates.

PS. I've even updated the bios hoping that it might fix some compatability isues.

in short HELP

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

hard drive, memory would be the first thing i'd be looking at.....probably the hard drive...if it just blacks out (totally loses power) id be checking the power supply.

unplug all add ons and remove all extra cards inside the pc aswell.

ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Baby »

it all started a couple of days after i instaled a brand new hdd. I've done scans on the ram and they all come up fine. windows has done scans on the old hard drive but i dont think any have been done on the new one. but how can it be the problem when neither the system nor any page files are on it? its only my secondary.
Live long and procreate

Image[img]http://www.gametracker.com/player_info/202.

Fridge
X-Member
X-Member

Post by Fridge »

just disconnect it and try booting again, could tell you if it is the hard drive.

ADF-Muzz
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Muzz »

ADF-Baby wrote:it all started a couple of days after i instaled a brand new hdd. I've done scans on the ram and they all come up fine. windows has done scans on the old hard drive but i dont think any have been done on the new one. but how can it be the problem when neither the system nor any page files are on it? its only my secondary.
Prob a dumb question but lets go to the beginning.Is your secondary's jumper plugged into slave?

ADF-Sniper
Admin - Founder
Admin - Founder

Post by ADF-Sniper »

Run Windows XP Pro.
Evolution is just so unlikely to produce complex life forms.

ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Baby »

ADF-Muzz wrote:
ADF-Baby wrote:it all started a couple of days after i instaled a brand new hdd. I've done scans on the ram and they all come up fine. windows has done scans on the old hard drive but i dont think any have been done on the new one. but how can it be the problem when neither the system nor any page files are on it? its only my secondary.
Prob a dumb question but lets go to the beginning.Is your secondary's jumper plugged into slave?
m8 the only dumb question is the one you dont ask and any thing sniper says

the instructions on the hdd say that for it to be a slave it shold have no junpers. Its a samsung 400GB sata2. the site I bought it from says that some MBs may have problems with compatability but mine wasnt on the list.

It looks like the HDD is the problem cos i booted up with the windows DVD and did a repair (witch i have done a hundred times with no changes to the problem) and it booted up into windows just fine. I'm doing an update now. so i'll do a reboot and see what happens.
Live long and procreate

ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Baby »

well it looks like the hdd is the problem. i finished the update and restarted the computer and it booted back into windows just fine. i'm now installing the rest of the updates. so WTF could be happening that when i instaled the hdd initaly it was fine (cept i kept getting gfx freezes) but i could still login to windows and use the hdd and even now when i do manage to login i can still use it and the file that are on it?
Live long and procreate

ADF-Yodak
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Yodak »

It's possible that you installed the HDD wrong through windows, or you were unfortunate enough to get a seriously f'd up HDD off the production line (You did get it brand new, didn't you!?)

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

ADF-Yodak wrote:It's possible that you installed the HDD wrong through windows, or you were unfortunate enough to get a seriously f'd up HDD off the production line (You did get it brand new, didn't you!?)
i havent read the other posts but it is a trial and error type thing m8.....you eliminate and go from there.It cant be configured wrong through windows as there's nothing to configure.It could only be jumper settings if its IDE as SATA doesnt use jumpers....well not for configuration so to speak anyway.

so you bought a new hard drive...make.....model?

is the new hard drive to be used for your O/S or as a backup drive?

How is it currently configured...? (actual cabling i mean?)

ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Baby »

ADF-Deano wrote:
ADF-Yodak wrote:It's possible that you installed the HDD wrong through windows, or you were unfortunate enough to get a seriously f'd up HDD off the production line (You did get it brand new, didn't you!?)
i havent read the other posts but it is a trial and error type thing m8.....you eliminate and go from there.It cant be configured wrong through windows as there's nothing to configure.It could only be jumper settings if its IDE as SATA doesnt use jumpers....well not for configuration so to speak anyway.

so you bought a new hard drive...make.....model?

is the new hard drive to be used for your O/S or as a backup drive?

How is it currently configured...? (actual cabling i mean?)
I've actualy gone on holidays now. but yes it is a new drive. its my secondary drive. no os on it only files (I dont even have any page files on it) i did notice one thing tho. there is one update that windows wont let me install. or atleast it installs, reboots then i'm told i need to install it. i did a google search for it and in sone forums there is a guy who says its a virus cos asus (its somthing to do with the power control for the mobo ie. it stops over heating and stops things like opptical mdrives taking toomuch power from the cpu.) wont tell him how to remove or disable it.

I have no idea what its called (i'm not at home atm) but my mobo is an asus p5n-e sli dual 7300gtx gfx cards ( they dont need extra power input) 1 dvd drive 1 hdd and a 800w psu so i cant see me having a problem with not enough power. but i'll try again when i ghet back home. should be 13/14 dec i've just about run out of time here so i'll have to sign off now
Live long and procreate

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

rgr let me know....in the mean time ill do some searching

ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Baby »

I've given up for now. i've got xp running atm with the drive in and no problems. the thing is that although i had fewer problems with the second drive disconected there were still problems. i was wondering if there could be a problem with the fact that i didnt do a hard format when i instaled vista (it has no option to do so) cos when i first tried to instal xp i just did a quick format and while instaling, after the first reboot it would turn its self off, not just reboot but turn all the way off. so i did a full format and installed no problem. I dont realy know if such a thing could be a problem. one thing i did notice is that after installing vista and rebooting the first time it would go through a disk scan and one of the things it comes up with is "removing incorrect attribute" i cant see which files it does this to cos it goes too fast. maybe if i do an upgrade to vista after doing a clean install of xp may fix the problem. i know sp1 is coming out in the next couple of months soooo.
Live long and procreate

ADF-Sniper
Admin - Founder
Admin - Founder

Post by ADF-Sniper »

Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP Run windows XP

The solution is.......... Run windows XP......... VISTA SUCKS!!!!

ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Baby »

umm actualy i found vista to be better than xp. the gfx were better, both windows itsself and in games. i would get higher fps on higher levels than with xp.
Live long and procreate

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

Ok lets get this sorted :)

First of all are these HDD's both SATA if so configure as follows;

1. Plug your main HDD (for O/S) into SATA1 slot.

2. Plug your second drive into SATA2 slot.

sometimes they are colour coded for raid...E.g SATA1 & SATA3 are PINK and SATA2 & SATA4 ORANGE this is generally for RAID so for now we will use SATA1 and SATA2 but if you run into trouble try using SATA1 and SATA3.

Now go into your BIOS and select the "Advanced" Tab and then go to "Onboard Device Configuration".

Next go to "IDE Function Setup" and make sure all options are "Enabled".

Next go to "Boot" and then to "Boot Device Priority" and set up accordingly....

Next i need to know how your installing vista via upgrade or complete clean install......

1. So in short you installed vista (through upgrading from xp or do you have the full vista disc?)

2. Once installed you do the updates at the windows update site it then has problems?

Next dont do any updates from windows if thats whats causing the problem especially hardware updates....do what i said and get it configured properly and ill show you what to update and what not to update..........

Also download this http://www.gtopala.net/siw.exe and open it....

it doesn't install it just runs from the desktop.Once it is open go to File menu and select "Create Log File" and make sure the save as type is html.....zip it up and email it to me deano At adfteam dot com

Not sure in vista but you might have to right click siw.exe and run as administrator.

ADF-Sniper
Admin - Founder
Admin - Founder

Post by ADF-Sniper »

ADF-Deano wrote:Not sure in vista but you might have to right click siw.exe and run as administrator.
Sorry Deano too much work. :P