1Tb drive??

Operating System help, tips and tricks.
ADF-Baby
ADF Member
ADF Member

1Tb drive??

Post by ADF-Baby »

i was online the other day looking for a new harddrive and saw that they now have 1Tb drives was wondering what the relyability of these would be? I mean the drive is the same size as a normal one so how do they fit all the extra info on it? is it higher compression on the drive ie. tracks are closer or are there more thinner disks in it?
Live long and procreate

Image[img]http://www.gametracker.com/player_info/202.

ADF-CaptCC
Im a man of the forums!!

Post by ADF-CaptCC »

::""The 3.5-inch, 7200 RPM Parallel-ATA/Serial-ATA hard drives are built on the industry's most reliable perpendicular magnetic recording technology, first established with Hitachi's Travelstar 2.5-inch and 1.8-inch product lines.""::

Technical Specifications:

Deskstar 7K1000

1000/750 GB – SATA (GB = 1 billion bytes, accessible capacity may be less)
148 billion bits per square inch maximum areal density
1070 Mb/s max. media data rate
8.7 ms average seek time (with command overhead)
7,200 RPM, 4.17 ms average latency
Serial-ATA 3.0Gb/s
32 MB data buffer – SATA
26.1 mm in height (max)
700g in weight (max)
5/4 platters, 10/8 recording heads – SATA
300 G/1 ms pulse non-operating shock
9.0 (5 disk)/8.1 (4 disk) watt idle power – SATA
2.9 Bels typical idle acoustics
5-60 degrees C operating temperature

Fadi @ Dec 19th 2005 12:12AM

hey all,
Guys, 1 TB is mainly used for servers and also for Digital video editing since 1 sec of DV takes up to 172MB, and the new coming DV format is called High Definition and this comsumes much more than normal DV.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/getperpendicular

Fun To Look At.... HAHAH >> MADOZ
Lock ...and... Load ... Rock ...and... Roll ... SEMPER FI
Loyalty, above all, Except Honour

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

there is a new technology out that will give you a lot more space...the best way to explain it think of 4 blocks of chees laying down in a circle (circle being data arount the disc) now take those blocks of cheese and stand them on there end....you can see how much more data you can fit...i dont know whether there using this technology yet but if i was you baby i would think about buying 2 500GB discs to start with and buying a drobo..........

7sENCMKXBUc

I have yet to see a better solution for storage, this is the true meaning of plug and play in my book :)

Ill be getting one and it is absolutely awesome :)

Fridge
X-Member
X-Member

Post by Fridge »

The only downsides to it see is that it uses a mirror raid system. It may use less space for its mirror data/protection the hight amount of space you have but if you have some odd drive configs you could be wasting alot of space.

For example

Drives: 80 GB + 80 GB + 80 GB + 1.0 TB = 1.2 TB
Drobo: 221GB

Drives: 1.0 TB + 1.0 TB + 1.0 TB + 1.0 TB = 4.0 TB
Drobo: 2.7TB

Good if you want data safety and you have similar drive sizes. Bad If you just want size.

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

go here fridge

http://www.drobo.com/drobolator/

4 x 1TB = is really only 3.6TB

so you get 2.7TB of actual space and 931GB used for protection, its basically Raid 5 by the looks of that using Fault Protection Id say

Specifications:
Drives: One to four 3.5” SATA I or SATA II hard disk drives (full or half-height, no carriers required): Any drive manufacturer, any capacity (mixed capacities ok), any spindle speed or cache
Interface: High Speed USB 2.0
Dimensions: 6.0” wide x 6.3” tall x 10.7” long
Weight: 6 lbs. 11.3 ozs. (without power supply, hard drives or packaging)
Includes: Drobo storage robot, external power supply (100v-240v) with U.S. 110v power cord, USB2.0 cable, User Guide & Quick Start Card (printed), Drobo Resource CD with Drobo Dashboard application, Help files, How-to Videos and electronic documentation.
System Reqs: Apple Macintosh OS-X 10.4 or greater; Microsoft Windows 2000, 2003, XP or Vista

Approximate capacities: mixed drive sizes: Rated Drive Capacity (space available for data with redundant protection)
- with 3 drives (mixed capacities): 250GB + 300GB + 500GB = 1TB (510.2GB space available for protected data)
- with 4 drives (mixed capacities): 250GB + 250GB + 500GB + 500GB = 1.5TB (929.0GB space available for protected data)
- with 4 drives (mixed capacities): 250GB + 300GB + 500GB + 750GB = 1.8TB (975.6GB space available for protected data)
- with 4 drives (mixed capacities): 500GB + 500GB + 750GB + 750GB = 2.5TB (1.6TB space available for protected data)

Mind you you'll pay for it around $800 i think...

MADOZ MADOZ MADOZ MADOZ MADOZ MADOZ MADOZ

ADF-Cable
Im a man of the forums!!

Post by ADF-Cable »

1 Tera drives are good, but not really quick - good for storing movies and music etc... but if you are going to be using them a "working" drives for file manipulation there are faster, cheaper solutions available.

I got a 750Gig a few weeks ago, awesome for storage all my... um... movies....

But I won't use it as a drive for working with files, just a place to store info....
[marq=left] [font=Comic Sans MS] ADF Rocks!!! [/marq][/font]

ADF-Deano
ADF Member
ADF Member

Post by ADF-Deano »

the drobo is separate drives not 1 x 1TB drive and there sata 1 and 2 compatible....it would be plenty fast enough, but this is the ultimate in my opinion.....there are cheaper alternatives out there like cable said....this is just the one i want :P

Fridge
X-Member
X-Member

Post by Fridge »

I think I found a good cheap alternative, hasn't got the hot swap ability so turning it of the swap drive is a must. They say it can only use drive 750Gb max but i say they said that before TB drives where available.

http://american-media.com/product/external/ts/ts.html

You can get on for roughly 120$. its also got RAID 0 and 1 built in if you want them.

The other alternative is to get an old pc and put hot swap drive bays in. Right now my case has 13 spaces for hard drives with any modifications.